Thursday, October 13, 2011

A few of my favorite things ....

For those wondering ... I have not disappeared :)  It has just been a hectic and very busy past few weeks and I have just now found a few minutes to sit down and blog about a few of my favorite things ... or specifically my favorite baking/cooking accessories ... measuring cups.  Okay, okay I don't always use them and often prefer the dump and pour method ... using my hand in place of a measuring cup or just basically "eyeing it" but I do love them. 

Oh my gosh do I love beautiful things ... and where a lot of women will collect and adore jewelry or shoes or china, I must say that I love meauring cups and aprons ... especially vintage ones or vintage looking ones.  A few years ago while in Boston, I picked up these beautiful pewter measuring cups embellished with dragonflies ... another thing that I think is quite lovely and another one of my favorites.  It was like a match made in heaven and I have kept them close by in the kitchen since the day I brought them home.  I was also excited to see that Paula Dean uses a set from the same designer.  I think she has ones that are ocean themed ... also amazingly beautiful. 

So recently, while Chris and I were on a trip, I went to another one of my favorites, Anthropolgie, for a little window shopping and to see if I could find some amazing treasure at a good price.  Here is their website http://www.anthropologie.com/ .   I must say that this beautiful store sings to my soul.  I walk in and feel like a kid in a candy shop. And if you get the chance to visit one in person rather than just visiting their online site, you will understand why I adore them.  The clothing, accessories, shoes and home goods are so nostalgic and can transport you back to another time or bring fond memories to mind that were locked away temporarily. Its funny that just walking into the store seeing the lovely vintage designed dresses and smelling the rose water perfume somehow remind me of my Grandma Burke in her "house dresses" skittering about busily in the kitchen preparing food and tidying the house.  Typically, you would find one of everything in the store on my Christmas list.  Alright, back to my story, I have to share with you what I found.  As I was strolling leisurely through the home section, I just happened to find a wonderful collection of measuring cups ... all in different colorful patterns.  One in particular caught my eye and I just knew that they had to go home with me.  Are you ready? Are you ready .... beautiful aren't they? So delicate and fragile and colorful.  They remind me of times when I was a child watching my grandma bake.   And honestly they just inspire me to want to bake up some beautiful cupcakes and cakes.

I just want to decorate a cake for someone ... along the sides would be those lovely stripes in the same vibrant and happy colors and then embellish the top with dainty red and blue posies.  I can only image how pretty it would be and how much the person that I made it for would enjoy receiving it as much as I would enjoy making it.  I wonder who would love one?  Maybe I should start baking and surprise someone special ....

No comments:

Post a Comment