Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Spooktactular Halloween ...

I love this time of year.  The fall, with the chilliness in the air and colorful leaves falling to the ground, signals the start to the holiday season.  Halloween just happens to be one of my favorite holidays...simply because I get to decorate the house with orange and black (the best color combination and certainly one of my very, very favorites) and I can make some very special and artistic treats and I get to give them to friends and family.  I smile to think of the excitement the kids feel as they anxiously await All Hallows Eve and the candy they will accumulate while trick-or-treating.  And who doesn't love wearing a costume ... a chance to be a superhero or beautiful princess or cartoon character for one night ... so much fun.

With October about half over, I wanted to share some pictures of our decorating this year.  Our house is filled with lots of little creatures spooky in their own right ... spiders and bats ... mice and crows.  There are pumpkins and skeletons and Maurice the spooky butler.  There are tasty candies and cleverly decorated baked goods that make the kids eyes wide with excitement.  There are caramel apples filling a plate and jars of orange, yellow and red candies filling the buffet table in the dining room.   The table is home to a creepy skull covered in a cloche.  All placed with a purpose to create a perfectly spooky setting. 

Chris jokes every few days when I add just another little piece here and there that maybe we need just one more thing.  And I just giggle because there is so much more that I would love to add.  Each day though I hang just a few more strings of spider web or place another small spider on a lampshade or table runner ... just for fun and see him smile when he discovers my latest addition. I still have a bit of kid in my heart and feel the same excitment that our children do when the house comes alive with all the the scary props.

At nights when the lights are turned down low, the pumpkins shine eerily up the staircase and Maurice lets out a very spooky laugh and nearly scares us all out of our minds,  A crow sits with his wings spread in the bird cage on the porch watching over the house for visitors, lit underneath with a scary green light.  A black light shines on a skeleton breaking from the ground in a little well-placed cemetary in our front yard.  But its all in good fun and the house feels so playful ... because its all in the spirit of this fun-filled holiday where we can for one night pretend to be someone else and roam from house to house in the chilly evening air begging for treats.   And I have to admit that I love to dress up too, as a witch, and stand by the door greeting each little costumed trick or treater who is brave enough to venture past all the spooky things to our front door.  Happy Halloween...enjoy the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment